George Ellis (1863-1944) worked as an independent silversmith in Sheffield. In 1895 Ellis began working from a workshop in Court 2, 16 John Street, near London Road. This address was occupied by a number of craftsmen at the time including a "scissors smith" named Charles Reynolds, a file forger named William Addy, a silver plater named Joseph Turner and William Stones, a silversmith.
In 1900, George Ellis moved his business to 100a Charles Street. He is described in the Sheffield trade directory as a "maker of fish eaters, carvers, desserts, jams, butters, spoons &c. to the trade". Records at Sheffield Assay Office indicate that Ellis registered his first mark, 'GE', in May 1912. At this time George, Louisa and their daughter Winifred Grace were living at 199 Chippinghouse Road, just off Abbeydale Road.
In 1932 the business became a limited liability company and was renamed George Ellis (Silversmiths) Limited, based at 107-109 Arundel Street. A trade directory of 1934 describes George Ellis as the Managing Director of the business. George Ellis died in 1944 and little is known about the fortunes of the company after this time. It continued to trade on Arundel Street, but is not listed in the trade directories after 1971.
The premises of George Ellis (Silversmiths) Limited can be seen on Arundel Street today. The original signage is still present on the building.