Walker & Hall was founded in Sheffield by George Walker, in around 1845. The firm made electroplated holloware and high quality table knives. After several different partnerships, Henry Hall joined the firm in 1853. The firm was renamed Walker & Hall and was based at the Electro Works on Howard Street. Its instantly recognisable trademark was a flag with the initials 'W & H'.
The firm expanded throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s. At their height, it is thought to have employed almost 2000 workers. In 1963, Walker & Hall Ltd, Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co of Birmingham were brought together to form British Silverware Limited.