W. Skidmore & Company Ltd.
Biographical Account: In a trade directory of 1851 the company advertised as ‘Manufacturers of all kinds of surgical instruments, enema apparatus’, based at Enema Works, Fitzwilliam Street. William Skidmore was a surgical instrument maker from the 1840s until his death in 1880. He displayed products at the Great Exhibition in 1851. In 1854 he had a brief partnership with Amos Cooke who withdrew in 1860. In 1861 the firm registered a silver mark. In 1876 they had a larger illustrated advert with the slogan ‘Wholesale and for exportation’, showing they were tapping into global markets. At this point they are listed for ‘Surgical, Dental and Veterinary Instruments’. W Skidmore is now part of B Braun Medical Ltd which has its Head Office at Thorncliffe Park in Chapeltown. It is a global healthcare company employing nearly 40,000 people, making instruments for the NHS.