Unwin & Rodgers
Biographical Account: Philip Unwin and James Rodgers founded their partnership in the 1820s and were based in Charles Street. By 1829 though, James Rodgers had died and it was left to Philip Unwin to run the business, which he did, retaining Rodgers’ name. Unwin & Rodgers were another company that expanded with the American demand for cutlery. They were among the earliest companies to make and export Bowie knives, however, they were also well known for other frontier staples such as daggers, dirks, and lock and folding knives. By 1849 the company could afford to move into Rockingham Works, Rockingham Street, which had previously been used by George Wostenholm. Later they also occupied part of the Globe Works. By 1883 the company went bankrupt. Their name and address at Globe Works continued to appear in trade directories until 1909, however, as manufacturers of cutlery.