The Cadman family manufactured razors in Sheffield for over 200 years. Luke Cadman registered the mark BENGALL in 1748, which was to become an international brand name. The firm occupied a number of addresses in Sheffield including premises on Surrey Street and Fargate.
The firm continued into the 1900s, though the safety and electric razor market put them under increasing financial strain. Throughout the post war period they continued a strong international trade. They exported 80-90% of their products to Australia, Japan, India and Poland. During WWII they supplied the Royal Navy with 250,000 razors.
The firm diversified into the manufacture of scissors and dissection blades after the war in an attempt to increase business. Despite these efforts, their staff reduced in number from 100 to 30. The business eventually closed in 1965 and their last workshop was on Matilda Lane. By their closure only two workmen remained, Alfred Skeels and Jack Platts, both grinders in their 60s.