Furniss, Poles & Turner (established in 1809) was the original silversmithing firm that later became Roberts & Belk. The company changed hands a number of times, becoming Roberts & Slater in 1845, Roberts & Briggs in 1859 and by 1864, Roberts & Belk.
The firm was based at the Furnival Works in Sheffield city centre. Roberts & Belk manufactured silver and EPNS holloware, flatware and cutlery. The company was initially based in Sheffield, but by 1883 also had a London office at 24 Holborn Viaduct. This enabled the firm to better exploit the consumer markets of each city.
The firm became a limited liability company in 1901 and was renamed Roberts & Belk Ltd. Charles Belk and Walter Patrick Belk became the company directors. At around this time, an additional branch was opened in Sydney, Australia. A contemporary account reports that Roberts & Belk Ltd manufactured electro-tinned steel spoons to be exported to the colonies and trenches during WWI. The firm remained in the Belk family until 1961, when it was sold to the London silversmiths, C J Vander.