Omar Ramsden and Alwyn Carr were both born in Sheffield and studied at Sheffield School of Art and the Royal College of Art, London. They established a workshop at Albert Bridge in London (moving later to South Kensington) and in 1898 registered their first joint sponsor's (maker's) mark. It is largely assumed that Ramsden was the entrepreneur in the business and Carr the designer. The making of objects was largely carried out by a staff of silversmiths, designers, chasers, engravers and enamellers.
Ramsden and Carr were keen followers of the Arts and Crafts movement. They were both devout Catholics and their religious beliefs often influenced the commissions they undertook. Their partnership was dissolved in 1919, after which both continued to work independently.