Lewis, Rose & Co Ltd operated 1922 to the early 1950s, initially occupying the Mappin Buildings at Norfolk Street in Sheffield. The company was set up by Isidore Lewis, and occupied the Mappin Buildings in Norfolk Street. The company trademark was 'Debesco' and later premises were at 'Desbesco Works', Norfolk Street and Norfolk Lane. In the 1950s Lewis, Rose & Co adopted the 'Philip Ashberry' name. Isidore Lewis became Sheffield's first Jewish Lord Mayor in 1963.
The firm was aquired by Spear & Jackson in 1969, and in the 1970s the Ashberry name was purchased by a French cutlery firm, to form Ashberry Degrenne.