James Dixon & Sons (originally Dixon & Smith) was one of the largest and most prolific manufacturers in Sheffield. The firm was originally founded in 1806, making Britannia metal goods. They soon branched into different materials and markets and established international trade links.
During the 1900s Dixon's continued to produce diverse and successful lines of pewter, silver and silver plated goods. Some of their most celebrated achievements were a series of trophies for Grand National winners and the Augusta Golf Tournament trophy.
The reputation achieved by Dixon's adds to the poignancy of their steadily declining fortunes. The company twice went into receivership during the 1970s and ceased to trade around 1992. Today, British Silverware Limited continues to produce goods under the Dixon brand name and Cornish Place has been redeveloped into luxury housing and offices.