Joseph Rodgers & Sons was one of the largest cutlery manufacturers in Sheffield in the late 1800s. The company's famous star and Maltese cross mark was registered in 1764. By the end of the 1700s, they had established a factory on Norfolk Street.
In 1887 the firm began to manufacture its own crucible and shear steel, culminating in the purchase of the Sheaf Island Works in 1907. By the end of the 1800s Joseph Rodgers & Sons was certainly one of the largest cutlery manufacturers in the world. However, the firm did not escape the decline in Sheffield's cutlery trade during the early 1900s. Foreign competition, increasing mechanisation and the advent of stainless steel contributed to their decline. The company underwent a number of takeovers during the 1900s. The rights to the name and cutlery marks were bought most recently by the Egginton Group of Companies in Sheffield.