John Round & Son was a leading manufacturer of high quality silver plated holloware, flatware and cutlery. The business was established by John Round in 1847 and was based on Tudor Street. Round's son, Edwin, became a partner shortly after. The company expanded in size very quickly and established agencies in Montreal and London. Their trade mark was 'All the World Round'.
An advert placed in an 1876 commercial directory described the firm as "The Largest Spoon and Fork Makers in the World". By this time they had acquired a second factory called Arundel Plate Works. The advert boats that "Promptness in the Execution of Orders is Our Rule" and "We possess the most extensive machinery in the Trade".
Despite some financial troubles in the 1870s, the firm continued to trade. The business was purchased in the 1930s by Joseph Rodgers & Sons and transferred to their Pond Hill Works.