John McClory & Sons Ltd.
Biographical Account: The McClory family originated in County Down, Ireland. John McClory opened a hardware shop in Waingate, selling Sheffield cutlery, however, it was his son John Jr who set up the manufacturing business John McClory & Sons. The company focused on making ‘cheap and middle-class goods’ of a type that were increasingly being made in Germany and overseas, a tactic which proved extremely successful. By the 1890s the firm was operating from Continental Works on Milton Street and after the First World War it became one of the earliest to market Stainless steel knives. The firm was finally liquidated in 1938, however, the name was listed at a Continental Works on Herries Road until the 1980s.