Hukin & Heath was established by Jonathan Wilson Hukin and John Thomas Heath in Birmingham in 1855. The firm's first marks were registered in 1879. Hukin & Heath had premises in Birmingham and London, including impressive showrooms to display their goods to consumers.
Hukin retired in 1881 and John Hartstone Middleton joined as a new partner. By 1900, the firm was producing goods in silver and EPNS, as well as dealing in bullion, coins, precious metals and stones and leather goods.