George Ibberson & Company
Biographical Account: George Ibberson founded Wilson and Ibberson with Albert Wilson in 1871, which could be found in Exchange Gateway, Fargate. By 1874 George Ibberson was working on his own from the Central Works on West Street, making table knives, carvers, razors and trade knives. They were most famous for their hand forged pen and pocket knives, which were hafted in expensive materials such as pearl, tortoiseshell and ivory. Ibberson’s made several promotional films about the company from the mid-1920s onwards, which showed the processes involved in making cutlery in their factory, including making hand-forged pen knives. They continued to develop new ranges in the twentieth century, including yachting knives and their Action Knife range. The firm was sold in the 1980s, and in 1983 the name and ‘double sharp’ makers mark was bought by Egginton Brothers Ltd.