Gerald Benney CBE was born in Hull in 1930. He studied at Brighton Art College and then at the Royal College of Art in London. He established his first workshop in London in 1955. Between 1957 and 1969 he worked as a consultant for Viners of Sheffield, producing cutting edge designs for domestic objects in pewter, silver and stainless steel.
Benney was awarded several Royal Warrants for his work as a goldsmith and silversmith, and was a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths.