B Worth & Sons
Biographical Account: William Beeston Himsworth set up the firm in 1874, using a shortened version of his name to use as the makers mark, WORTH, so it would fit on the cutlery. By 1884 it was based in Court 3 in Sidney Street until 1901, when it moved a short distance to 195 Arundel Street. It stayed there until the closure of the business in the 1960s. Joseph Beeston Himsworth, one of William’s sons, joined in 1888 in the silver-plate section – an area that expanded to make up for the fall in American trade. Joseph had trained at the Sheffield College of Art, and so was skilled in designing and creating one off presentation pieces. Joseph was a keen advocate for traditional craft skills, and was a member and Master of the Sheffield Artscraft Guild. Joseph Himsworth also wrote The Story of Cutlery (1953), which was a popular history of the cutlery industry and one of the few published on the subject at the time. His only daughter Joyce Rosemary Himsworth was also a skilled silversmith in her own right, although this was not enough for her to gain a position within the family firm. Joyce kindly donated a large quantity of B. Worth & Sons items to the museum in the 1970s.