Mr Job Preston
, 1839 - 1923
Dimensions: Overall (a): 99 × 52mm
Overall (b): 99 × 52mm
Overall (c): 128 × 49mm
Department: Social History
Accession Number: 1992.1284
J. Preston Ltd, at 202-208 West Street, Sheffield was a well known pharmacy. It supplied the contents of these particular bottles to the Bacteriological Laboratory of the Jessop Hospital for Women. As well as a dispensing chemist and medical supplier, the shop also supplied specialist equipment to industrial laboratories in Sheffield’s steelworks.
In the 1980s, the museum service acquired part of the contents of the shop, including the large counter, cupboards, drug drawers, bottles, jars and specialist equipment used to make medicines. The wooden shop fittings probably date from the 1890s when the business moved to West Street.