'Study of Seven Angels' detail from 'The Resurrection' after Fra Angelico
Date Made/Found: 1883-1884
, British, 1860 - 1890
, Florentine, 1400 - 1455
Material and Medium: watercolour, bodycolour and gold on paper
Dimensions: Mount: 456 x 610mm
Support: 169 x 257mm
Accession Number: CGSG00200
This detail is taken from the lower left area of an altarpiece, 'Christ Glorified in the Courts of Heaven', also known as 'The Resurrection’, painted by Fra Angelico in about 1423-4. This particular panel is one of four 'predella' panels, or lower panels that are placed below the main section of an altarpiece. As whole, the work shows Christ at the centre holding a banner with the symbol of the resurrection: a red cross on a white background. He is surrounded by 266 angels, similar to these copies.
According to legend, Fra Angelico took the inspiration for his painting directly from his miraculous visions of heaven and John Ruskin therefore described his work as the 'will of God.' Ruskin found Angelico's figures to be of the 'highest beauty' and his 'power of expression by bodily gesture' very great.
Blandy made this copy at London’s National Gallery for Ruskin, who was her informal art teacher.