Nativity with St George and St Dominic after Lippi
Charles Fairfax Murray
Date Made/Found: 1876-1880
, British, 1849 - 1919
, Italian, circa 1406 - 1469
Material and Medium: watercolour and bodycolour on paper
Dimensions: Mount: 611 x 457mm
Support: 240 x 241mm
Accession Number: CGSG00725
Lippi painted the original work in the 1460s for the dining hall of the San Domenico Monastery in Prato, a city near Florence. He has added two saints to the traditional nativity scene. St George on the left is recognisable by his 'attributes', or personal symbols of his armour and banner. St Domenic, a monk, can be recognised by his habit and tonsure and the icon to his right, signifying his holy visions.
Murray's study of Lippi's work is schematically, or rather blurrily painted. Painting according to Ruskin’s wishes, he has highlighted the colours of the painting, rather than individual details.
Ruskin wasn't only interested in Lippi's use of colour. He described his art as 'the finest, out and out, that ever monk did.' He felt that Lippi’s work was 'the most perfect unison of religious myth with faithful realism yet produced’.