Coin, medal, tokenExcavator:
Mr Albert Leslie Armstrong
, 1879 - 1958
Material and Medium: Copper alloy, silver
Place Object Found:
Accession Number: 1995.84.10
These coins and token come from the site of Sheffield Castle.
Sheffield Castle was built on a small hill at the junction of the River Sheaf and the River Don. The first wooden castle was built around 1100, and a later, much larger stone version stood until 1648, when it was demolished after the Civil War. Before the castle was demolished, the moat began to silt up, and afterwards it slowly filled with debris. These finds are associated with the 1927-1929 excavations by A. L. Armstrong.Display Location: