Norfolk Street and Pinstone Street with St Paul’s, Sheffield
, British, 1824 - 1866
Material and Medium: oil on canvas
Dimensions: Overall: 620 x 520 x 60mm
Sight size: 445 x 351mm
Department: Social History
Accession Number: K1906.2
St Paul's Church was originally a chapel of ease for Sheffield Parish Church, which is now the Cathedral. Chapels of ease were built so that people could attend a church even if they were unable to reach the parish church with ‘ease’.
The church was situated in Cheney Square, near where the Town Hall is today. In this painting the church is viewed from the square, looking from the north. It opened in 1740 and was demolished in the 1930s. The Peace Gardens are on the site today.