John Nodder & Sons
Date Made/Found: around 1868
Material and Medium: Britannia metal
Department: Decorative Art
Accession Number: 1973.126
This is a feeding bottle made of Britannia metal. It was manufactured in Sheffield by John Nodder & Sons, around 1868.
The bottle was designed for feeding an infant. It would originally have had a tube fed through the hole in the screw cap, with a teat attached. This bottle is advertised in White’s 1868 Directory of Sheffield.
John Nodder & Sons were listed in 1868 as ‘makers of electro silver plate and Britannia metal’. They had several different premises over the years, which was fairly common as firms changed size and the products they produced. Records show they were active at 188 Rockingham St (1863-1864), Taranaki Works, Dunfields (1864-1868), 138-140 New Edward St (1868-1889), and 226 Brook Hill (1889-1902). They became a limited company in 1898 and acquired another manufacturer, Heeley & Co, in 1899.
This object was digitised as part of the Objects in 3D project funded by JISC.Display Location: