Material and Medium: Brass
Department: Decorative Art
Accession Number: L126.96.36.1997
This is a lamp stand made in Persia (modern day Iran), donated to the Museum in 1881 as part of the Bragge collection. The stand is made of brass. It has an inscription on the lip.
The body is engraved with scroll work.
This is one of several objects collected by William Bragge (1823 – 1884), a civil engineer, antiquarian, and author. As an engineer he worked on many projects overseas and used this as an opportunity to collect many interesting objects. He had a particular interest in collecting writing about tobacco and antiques. Between 1858 and 1872 he worked in Sheffield as a director of steel manufacturer John Brown & Company. In 1870, he became Master Cutler of Sheffield.