John Shaw & Sons
Date Made/Found: around 1900
Material and Medium: Electroplated Britannia metal lid
Dimensions: Overall: 150 x 135 x 130mm (5 7/8 x 5 5/16 x 5 1/8in.)
Department: Decorative Art
Accession Number: 1976.370
This is a biscuit barrel, made of cut glass with a lid and handle of electroplated Britannia metal. It was manufactured by John Shaw & Sons at Latimer Works, Eyre Lane, Sheffield, around 1900.
The barrel shaped container is made of glass, with a star cut design on the base. On the sides the glass features large diamonds surrounding octagonal shapes. The rim and lid are electroplated Britannia metal with a swing handle. The lid has engine turned decoration in the form of a four petalled flower shape, with semi circular shapes surrounding the central knob.
After the development of electroplating with silver in 1846, Britannia metal was widely used as the base metal for silver plated household goods. The abbreviation EPBM denotes electroplated Britannia metal. Britannia metal was generally used as a cheaper alternative to electroplated nickel silver (EPNS) which is more durable.