The North Door, Santa Maria Maggiore, Bergamo, ItalyArtist:
, British, 1852 - 1917
Material and Medium: watercolour on paper
Dimensions: Mount: 418 x 293mm
Support: 373 x 245mm
Accession Number: CGSG00759
This canopy is found above the northern transept, or left hand wing of the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. The church is unusual, having no central doorway. Instead, the main entrances are to the side, under each transept. Both doors are decorated by elaborate porches and were individually carved by Giovanni da Campione during the 1350s and 60s.
The lower canopy contains sculptures of St Barbara, St Vincent and St Alexander. The upper niche contains sculptures of St Esther and St Grata, with the Madonna and Child at the centre. Ruskin greatly admired the style and colour of early decoration such as that of Santa Maria Maggiore, which he described as ‘Lombardic Gothic’. Ruskin wrote very little about this church itself, but Randal probably drew this detail for him in response to a commission to paint records of architecture in 'rather out of the way bits that are perishing.