Date Made/Found: 1155-1170
Material and Medium: Silver
Dimensions: Diameter 21mm
Place Object Found:
Accession Number: 2018.106.8
This coin is part of a hoard of ten medieval silver pennies and halfpennies, found by metal detectorists near the Derbyshire village of Clowne in 2014. It was issued by King Henry II (1154-1189) and struck by moneyer Willem at the Thetford mint. Eight other coins in the hoard were also issued by Henry II while one was issued by King Stephen (1135-54) thus the hoard was probably lost in the 1160s.
The coins all began their lives as silver pennies. However, there was never enough small change in England meaning that some were literally cut in half to produce halfpennies. It is rare to find pennies and halfpennies together in a hoard suggesting that this is likely to have been a dropped purse, or similar container, representing everyday coins lost.
The hoard’s discovery adds to the body of evidence telling the medieval history of Clowne. The village was mentioned in Domesday and is reputed to be of Saxon origin. However, there is little historical evidence for this period within the village. The village church is known to have been constructed during the reign of King Stephen in the mid-12th century. Investigations at Mill Street in 2003 ahead of the construction of a supermarket revealed part of the extent of the settlement in the 1100s and 1200s. This included an early burgage plot. These were narrow pieces of land with a house rented from the king or local lord for money or services.
The acquisition was supported by the Arts Council England/Victoria & Albert Museum Purchase Grant Fund www.vam.ac.uk/purchasegrantfund .