Date Made/Found: 1600-1700
Material and Medium: Iron
Dimensions: Length 111mm, width 81mm and depth 20mm.
Place Object Found:
Accession Number: J1958.18a
An iron spur inlaid with silver from the excavation of Sheffield Castle between 1950 and 1959.
Sheffield Castle once stood on the site of Castle Market in central Sheffield. It dated from around 1100 to 1648, when it was demolished. Mary Queen of Scots was kept here by George Talbot, the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, for fourteen years of her imprisonment.
From 1958 to the 1970s Leslie Butcher surveyed the site of the Castle during various building works. This spur was probably found during this work.
Weston Park Museum