Date Made/Found: 1700-1800
Material and Medium: Glass, lead
Dimensions: Length 470mm, width 410mm
Accession Number: 1996.480
This leaded glass window panel was probably made at Bolsterstone, Sheffield. Leaded glass was widely used for windows before it was possible to make large sheets. Smaller pieces were made and fitted together with lead strips. Each window might contain several panels like this.
The Fox family ran a glasshouse at Bolsterstone in the early 1700s. At this time glass production in South Yorkshire was expanding. The region became established as a source of good quality glassware. Several different types of glass were made including lead crystal glass. This suggests they were making glass for both the cheap and the expensive ends of the market. The glassworks were in operation for about 100 years.
Weston Park Museum