Dimensions: Overall: 31 × 31mm (1 1/4 × 1 1/4in.)
Accession Number: 1976.94
This token was used by Bookless Brothers in the Wholesale Fish Market in Sheffield. Wholesale customers paid for baskets and sacks for produce with a deposit, and were given a token. This had the name of the market trader and the amount of deposit stamped on it. When the customer returned the baskets or sacks, they got their deposit back.
The Wholesale Fish Market in Sheffield was opened in 1879. It was on Shude Hill, behind the Norfolk Market Hall, and next to the Castlefolds and Sheaf Markets. The Fish Market became a key re-distribution centre, where fresh fish from east coast ports could be sent by rail to Sheffield and then on to Lancashire and the East Riding. The Market was demolished in 1961.
Weston Park Museum