Date Made/Found: 1925-1935
Dimensions: Overall: 12 × 47 × 12mm
Department: Social History
Accession Number: 2012.326
Carter & Sons was a firm of manufacturing chemists based in Attercliffe, founded in 1874. They produced a wide variety of products, from medicines such as Three Noughts cough syrup, Castorets chocolate laxative tablets and various ointments to food items including Comptons Gravy Salt and Sailor Boy custard. Carter & Sons was still manufacturing in Sheffield into the 1980s.
This tin would have contained aspirin tablets, used to treat pain and inflammation. Carters manufactured their own brand of many common medications and treatments including petroleum jelly and throat lozenges.