St James's Church, Norton
Date Made/Found: 1843-1881
, 1828 - 1904
Material and Medium: oil on canvas
Dimensions: Overall: 927 x 1287 x 75mm
Sight size: 650 x 1026mm
Image size: 671 x 1052mm
Department: Social History
Accession Number: 2009.264
The 12th century Church of St. James is the oldest building in Norton, with a churchyard in the grounds of Norton Hall. The interior is late Norman and early English, with a tower arch dating back to 1180. Sir Francis Chantrey (1781-1841), the celebrated sculptor, was born near here and is buried in the churchyard. The obelisk shown to the left of the picture is his memorial.
The artists brother, Slater Bower, was a carver & gilder, who may have made the frame for this painting.