River Sheaf and Shrewsbury Hospital, Sheffield.
Date Made/Found: circa 1825
Material and Medium: oil on canvas
Dimensions: Overall: 610 x 740mm
Sight size: 505 x 640mm
Department: Social History
Accession Number: K1930.30
This painting details a view of the River Sheaf and the old Shrewsbury Hospital which can be seen to the left of the canal bridge in the distance. The River Sheaf flows over the weir to join the River Don in the foreground.
In 1616, George Talbot, 7th Earl of Shrewsbury, founded a hospital for the poor. Due to wrangling over his will and the intervention of the Civil War, the hospital was not built until 1673. It was situated beside Sheaf Bridge in the town centre, near to the current Park Square roundabout. Around 1825 the hospital was demolished and a new Shrewsbury Hospital was built on Norfolk Road.
Weston Park Museum