Beauchief Abbey, Sheffield
, 1828 - 1904
Material and Medium: oil on canvas
Dimensions: Sight size: 744 x 1243mm
Overall: 972 x 1479 x 93mm
Department: Social History
Accession Number: K1955.13
Beauchief Abbey is the remains of a medieval monastic house now serving as a parish church. The abbey was founded by Robert FitzRanulf de Alfreton in the late 12th century. As well as farming, the monastery controlled iron smelting, mineral extraction, woodland industries and mills on the River Sheaf. The Abbey was dissolved in 1537 and sold to Sir Nicholas Strelley. His descendent Edward Pegge built Beauchief Hall using stone from the ruined Abbey.